Lent, the Christian season leading up to Easter, is an important time to rededicate ourselves in love and service to God. This Lent at Hanscom Park, we have a number of ways for you to grow in your faith so that you will be formed for a life of loving God, self, and others.
Holy Week in Slow Motion Sermon Series
February 18 – April 1
In our Christian year, Holy Week is the week between Palm Sunday and Easter. There is a ton packed into that one week each year! We celebrate Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem. We imagine how he celebrated the Last Supper with his loved ones. We meditate on the darkness and meaning of the crucifixion. We experience grief and waiting as he lies in the tomb. Finally, we celebrate Christ’s victory over death and destruction on Easter Sunday. It’s a lot to take in. So this year, during the 40 days of Lent, we will experience Holy Week in slow motion. Each Sunday in our 10 AM worship, we will prepare ourselves by savoring each day of the week, by pondering each important story and theological point. Rather than rush past and skim over, we are going to slow down and dive deeper. I hope you will join us.
Holy Week in Slow Motion Daily Devotional on Facebook Live!
Join Pastor Chris for morning prayer on Facebook Live. She will lead a time of prayer, scripture, and daily devotions written just for this series. Tune in every Monday – Friday of Lent (February 14 – March 30) at 7:45 AM. Take this time to slow down and savor the Holy Week story all throughout these 40 days.
Here is how to receive Facebook notifications when Pastor Chris goes Live each day:
1) Log onto Facebook.
2) Go to the Hanscom Park United Methodist Church Facebook page. Click “Like” near the top of the page.
3) Next to the “Like” button, make sure it says “Following.”
4) Click the arrow next to the “Following” button. From there, click “Edit Notifications Settings” (or the little pencil next to Notifications Settings on a computer). Select “All Live Posts.” Then you should get a notification whenever Hanscom Park is streaming a live video (including Pastor Chris’s daily devotions).
5) Don’t forget to log into Facebook every Monday – Friday during Lent by 7:45 AM.
6) You can also watch the daily devotional anytime later that day. Just look for it on the Hanscom Park UMC page.
(NOTE: This process looks slightly different depending on whether you are using your phone, other mobile device or PC.)
“The Last Week” Sunday Morning Book Study
During Lent 2018 (February 14 – April 1), Pastor Chris will be leading a study on The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach about Jesus’ Final Days in Jerusalem by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan. It will be on Sundays from 8:45 – 9:45 AM. All are welcome to participate. Study participants will be reading a chapter of the book in preparation for each class. If you contact Pastor Chris by February 7th, she will be glad to order a book for you. To order a book, please send Pastor Chris an email at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 7th. She will order books as needed. Book cost will be $10. If that cost is prohibitive, please contact Pastor Chris to discuss other options. If you would like to join the class after the Feb. 7th book order deadline, you are welcome to purchase or borrow the book on your own and join us anytime.